A Complete Guide On How To Open An Etsy Shop In 2021
May 13, 2021 | 0 min read
Are you wondering how to open your Etsy shop? Do you think starting an Etsy shop is really difficult? Do you want the listing of your business on Etsy to get better results?
If yes, then you’ve arrived at the right stop. We have curated this article that helps you understand everything you need to know about Etsy. From setting up your shop, adding your first listings, to selling on Etsy.
How To Open Your Etsy Shop?
In order to start an Etsy, you would first need to create an Etsy shop for which the first step is to sign into or create an Etsy account. Here is a step-by-step guide to help you open an Etsy shop:
- Visit Etsy.com and click on “Sell on Etsy”
- Then, click “Open your Etsy shop”
- Once done, select your shop language, the country, and the currency
- Click on “Save and continue”
- Next, choose your shop name and again click “Save and continue”
Note – The web address to get to your shop will be: (1) https://www.etsy.com/shop/yourshopname or, (2) https://yourshopname.etsy.com
Starting An Etsy Shop:
Here are a few important pointers that you must keep in mind while starting your small business
1) Set And Choose Your Shop Preferences
It is important to select the right shop preferences, such as the shop’s language, country, currency, and time commitment to start with your Etsy business. Listed below are the details:
- The shop’s language – The default language that you choose on the shop, as well as the social media, helps the buyers to understand the preferred language they must converse with. Keep in mind that you won’t be able to change it later. Perhaps, in cases where you’ve prefer a change, you can opt to add translations to other languages after opening your shop
- The country – Etsy sellers must choose the correct country for their shop. This will helps the buyers know the country where your shop is based out in
- The currency – This is what you’d choose to use when pricing your listings. Keep in mind that the currency conversion fees may apply in case your currency is different from your shop currency
- The time commitment – Here, you’ll have to select between a full-time job or a part-time job, as per your product sale and preference.
2) Choosing Your Online Business Shop Name
While typing down the shop name, the shop owner must make sure that the name reflects the business and meets the following requirements:
- In length, there must be 4-20 characters
- Refrain from adding any spaces or special characters
- No profanity
- The name must not be in use by an existing Etsy member
- Do not infringe on another’s trademark
Note – In case the shop name that you entered is already in use, you will be provided with some shop names by Etsy. This will be held for you until you open your shop.
3) Stock Up!
This is the most crucial step and is the last thing that you’d need for your Etsy shop, product listings! Quickly add the product photos that you want to sell and get ready for your Etsy shop debut.
Now That You’re Successful With Opening Your Etsy, How Will You Get Paid?
An online marketplace is the best place considering COVID-19 as it helps you post your product descriptions and upload products to sell. But what about the payment of the products that are being sold?
Once you start selling from your new business, it is important for you to choose the payment method that you’d offer in your shop. If you are in an eligible country, you could use Etsy Payments, it gives the buyers numerous options to pay for their order and also consolidates all payments in your Etsy Payment bank account.
On the other hand, if your business is based in a non-eligible country for Etsy Payments, you could choose to add your own PayPal account to accept payments.
How To Set Up Billing For The Customers On Etsy?
Depending on the country you’re in, you could choose to enter a credit or debit card to help open your shop. However, the only criteria are that the card should be a:
- American Express
- Carte Bleue (France)
Note – A Prepaid card can also be added to your account if you already have a credit or debit card. Also, the sellers that are located in Austria, Germany, and the Netherlands do not require a credit card on file.
To Conclude: Opening An Etsy Shop
We hope that the article above has helped you find answers about everything related to an Etsy shop. Also, keep in mind that what the buyer views are what they choose to purchase. Therefore, make sure that the product images are of high quality and a perfect fit for the Etsy platform.
To create and upload the best quality pictures on the platform you could choose to use the Glorify App as it helps you create good product images in just a few seconds. Here’s how:
- Login into Glorify.com, and click on Browse
- Select the platform and the size of Etsy
- Choose the best template that fits your business well from the templates available. Or, filter as per the Theme/Niche
- Now, click on ‘Use This Template’
- Start customizing! Add the product photo, add a background, fill in the text, etc
- Once you are ready and are happy with the post, simply download it in the format you require.
FAQs: A Complete Guide On How Can You Open An Etsy Shop In 2021
1) How much does it cost to open an Etsy shop?
Etsy is a free platform. However, there are three basic selling fees that you would be required to make; the listing fee, transaction fee, and the fee processing payment fee. As per the cost, you will need to pay US$ 0.20 to publish a listing to the online marketplace.
Note – A listing only lasts for four months or up until the item is sold.
2) Is it worth it to open an Etsy shop?
The worth of an Etsy is dependent on a person’s personal preference and how they choose to pursue it. As per the records, Etsy has always been evolving into a better platform keeping in mind, both, the sellers and the buyers, and continues to pace in the marketplace. If you have a unique product to sell, try and crack your creativity and boost your brand name. The platform is worth your try and time.
3) Do I need a business license to open an Etsy shop?
If you are not operating your Etsy store as a legitimate business and do not aim to make profits, you do not need a business license.
4) How much do Etsy shops make?
Etsy as a corporation has been charging the seller fees as and when they list and sell their products. As per sources, the site charges $0.20 to list an item that stays active for four months. In case the product sells, Etsy charges 3.5% of the selling price as a commission.
5) What is the easiest thing to sell on Etsy?
- Ready-made craft kits like DIY
- Raw craft supplies
- Handmade items
- Wedding accessories
- Baby accessories
- Party supplies
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG