What are the Benefits of Ebook Software?
For you, as an author, the biggest benefit lies in time-saving. With ebooks, it has never been easier nor quicker to edit, change and adapt the text and images. And it is all thanks to various ebook software.
What’s more, depending on your ebook requirements, there is a big chance that you can start and finish all of the design process and layout on your own. No need to chase publishers.
What we definitely shouldn’t forget to mention is the impact on the environment. Ebooks are more environmentally friendly and leave little, to no carbon footprint.
Using ebook design software, you also provide your readers with a more enjoyable and pleasant reading experience. For example, they can:
- enlarge the fonts,
- use the background that suits them,
- use digital notes that are easy to share with their team or peers,
- store an amazing amount of ebooks on their devices and have them on the go,
- access the built-in dictionary to check the unknown words or terms.
Thus, when you decide to use ebook software, the benefits are multifold, both for you and your readers.
So, without further do, let’s check the best ebook design software and how they can help you save time and money.
Glorify is a cloud-based design tool that enables businesses to create stunning and scroll-stopping visuals for their products and services. Although helping eCommerce owners makes Glorify unique among other design tools, there is much more than meets the eye.
For starters, Glorify is a great tool if you don’t have any prior design knowledge or experience. There are many features that Glorify offers, but since we talk about ebook software, let’s see how Glorify can help you with that.
The Template Library
Once you’ve logged in, you can access the template library. When you choose an ebook section, you will see all the available elements such as
- Front and back cover designs
- Table of contents design
- Section title page
- 1st column content page, etc.
Now let’s say you want to create the front cover. You just need to click on the icon and find various editable templates. If you feel extra creative, there is also an option to start from scratch.
The Intuitive Dashboard
Once you’ve chosen the template you want, you will land on an intuitive dashboard tailored for non-designers. Furthermore, you’ll have a step-by-step guide throughout the whole process.
On the dashboard, you can find all the tools and elements you need to give a total makeover to your chosen template.
Some of the features and elements you’ll find useful:
- Free images library where you can pick the editable copyright-free images to match your ebook design.
- Effects and textures such are smoke effect, fire, wood, glitter, watercolor, etc.
- Removing background option to wholly or partially remove the background on your template.
- Shadows and Reflections to add the depth to your design and create more life-like ring to it.
- Graphics and various shapes like 3D shapes, stars, arrows, etc. to get even more creative with your design.
- Various text fonts to make your title or content more attention-grabbing and prominent.
In reality, there is really not much you can’t do with this easy-to-use software.
Glorify comes with 3 pricing plans:
Let’s see what’s next on our list.
Calibre is very versatile ebook software because it covers both design and technical aspects.
- convert between different ebook formats such as mobi, epub, and pdf.
- sync your ebook library with your ebook reader,
- create custom ebook covers and collections with the built-in eBook cover creator
Calibre works on iOs, Linux and Windows OS.
Calibre doesn’t offer any pricing plan because it is entirely free to download.
Sigil is a free, open-source ebook editor for files in the EPUB format. It is designed to edit books in both the "reflowable" format (suitable for reading on mobile devices) and the "fixed-layout" format (suitable for print).
Sigil has several features that make it great for editing ebooks:
- It can automatically convert your book to the EPUB format, making it easy to create ebooks that are compatible with various devices.
- It has a built-in preview function that allows you to see how your book will look on different devices.
- It supports many features, such as table contents, chapter headings, and footnotes.
- It has a clean, user-friendly interface that makes it easy to edit your book.
Since Sigil ebook editor is completely free to download, it does not have a pricing model.
We are moving towards another handy software.
Kotobee is software that lets you create ebooks with rich features. You can use it to:
- easily create interactive and multimedia-rich books,
- publish your ebooks in multiple formats, including PDF, EPUB, and HTML,
- track reader analytics and create custom books for specific audiences.
You can see how many people have read your book, how long they spend reading it, and which parts are most popular. This information can help you tailor your books for specific audiences.
This software also provides an easy-to-use interface for authoring ebooks. You can quickly add text, images, audio, video, and other media to your book.
Kotobee also supports interactive elements such as quizzes, polls, and links.
There are three price plans which are one-time payments.
5. EPUBee Maker
EPUBee Maker is an easy-to-use eBook maker software that can help you create and format eBooks in just a few clicks. With EPUBee Maker, you can
- easily create eBooks in any format, including PDF, EPUB, MOBI, etc.
- also easily add pictures, videos, and other multimedia files to your eBooks
EPUBee Maker is an add-in for Microsoft Word and you will find it on the Word’s toolbar.
EPUBee Maker s is also completely free to download and it does not have a pricing model.
The next ebook design software gives you the feel of a traditional book in a way.
FlipBuilder is software that allows you to create digital publications from PDFs, images, and other document types. You are right if you see any resemblance between the software's name and the book’s pages flipping. With FlipBuilder, you can easily create flipping books that look and feel like traditional publications but with the added benefit of being interactive and engaging.
What else can you do?
- add multimedia content to your publications, including videos, audio, and 360-degree images,
- embed links to external websites, so readers can easily find more information about the topics you're discussing.
FlipBuilder publications can be viewed on any device, including computers, tablets, and smartphones. They can also be uploaded to your website or blog, or shared via email or social media.
This software is free if you don’t mind having its watermark.
However, if you want to remove it and your ebook has more than 12 pages, then you will have to go for one of the three paid plans. All the plans are a one-time payment.
And last but not least is yet another great software: Designrr.
Designrr is an extremely popular ebook software. It is great if you already have the existing content that you want to turn into an ebook. In other words, you can use your blogs, videos, podcasts, and PDFs and turn them into ebooks.
What else does Designrr have to offer?
- More than hundreds of project templates
- Almost 1000 Google fonts
- Unlimited use of copyright-free images
- Tutorials to help you create an ebook
When it comes to formats, Designrr supports ePub, Mobi and Kindle.
There are 2 plans, one is paid monthly, and the other gives you lifetime access.
Wrapping It Up
We presented you with our top picks when it comes to ebook design software. There are a lot of things to consider when it comes to designing ebooks: features, price, etc.
With the right software, you can make the process a lot easier and quicker. But how to choose one? A lot will depend on what your needs are, but also on your target audience.
We mentioned quite a few ebook software great for formatting and for more technical aspects of creating an ebook. However, if you want to focus more on the design itself and on creating stunning ebook covers and content visuals, then Glorify should be your top pick. So start your free trial today and start creating “page-turning” books.