Cheat Sheet: Your Quick, Handy Guide to Recommended Social Media Image Sizes in 2021
November 17, 2020 | 0 min read
Visual content rules the social media landscape; whether it’s brand promotion, news update, video, or even a meme. This is effectively conveyed on social media through images and videos for your brand marketing.
To make things easier, here are the recommended social media image sizes and dimensions per network to make it easier for a brand to exhibit a uniform visual outlook across the different social media platforms.
Recommended Social Media Image Sizes: Facebook
Facebook is the world’s largest social network with about 1.18 billion active users.
- The profile picture on Facebook is a square picture, overlapping the cover photo, which is 180 x 180, and displays 170 x 170 on Desktop. It appears 170 x 170 pixels on desktop, 36 x 36 on most feature phones, and 128 x 128 on smartphones.
- This is located in 16 pixels from the left and 176 pixels from the top of your cover photo on the desktop and 24 pixels from the left, 24 pixels at the bottom, and 196 pixels from the top on smartphones. Lastly, with thumbnails 32 x 32 pixels.
- The Business Pages, on the other hand, stands out among all personal accounts but the dimensions are the same with 180 x 180, displayed as 170 x 170 on Desktop, 36 x 36 on most feature phones, 128 x 128 on smartphones, and 32 x 32 on the thumbnail.
- The cover photo appears on your Facebook timeline in 820 x 312 with a minimum size of 400 x 150 pixels. It appears 820 x 312 pixels on desktop, and 640 x 360 pixels on smartphones.
Recommended Social Media Image Sizes: Twitter
No, Twitter isn’t just for birds! It is a social media network with up to 313 million monthly active users often discussing brands. Recently, they have made big changes to their layout.
- The Profile Photo is the main image of 400 x 400 that displays 200 x200 and appears next to a link in the “Who to follow” box located on the right side of your twitter stream with a maximum file size of 2 MB and JPG, GIF or PNG type included.
- The header photo is of 1500 x 500 that spans the top of the Twitter profile page with a maximum file size of 5 MB that includes JPG, GIF, or PNG.
The sizes for images by types of Tweets are as follows:
- With shared link: 1200 x 628 pixels
- Sharing a single image: 1200 x 675 pixels
- Sharing two images: 700 x 800 pixels
- For sharing three images: (the left image: 700 x 800 pixels and the right images: 1200 x 686 pixels)
- The maximum number – Four images: 1200 x 600 pixels (per image) with the ratio is 16:9 and maximum file size 5 MB for photos, and 5 MB for animated GIFs, and 15 MB on the web.
Recommended Social Media Image Sizes: Instagram
Instagram is the most popular photo-sharing social network with more than 600 million users and not using an accurate image size on Instagram is as good as not posting on instagram.
- The best size for a Profile Picture is 110 x 110. Make sure to maintain an aspect ratio of 1:1 in the square photo.
- The photo Thumbnails at 161 x 161 that will help arrange the content in rows of thumbnails.
- These smaller images and videos expand when clicked upon to make sure to maintain an aspect ratio of 1:1 ratio with photo size at 1080 x 1080.
- Instagram still scales these photos down to 612 x 612 pixels that appear in the feed at 510 x 510 pixels. In square or rectangle photos one must make sure to maintain the ratio between 1.91:1 and 4:5 ratio.
- The dimensions recommended for portrait photos are 4:5 at 1080 x 1350 pixels.
- The small header images are 204 x 204 pixels and large header images at 409 x 409 pixels.
- The Recommended resolution for Instagram Stories is 1080 x 1920 with a minimum resolution of 600 x 1067 with a ratio is 9:16. The maximum file size accepted is 4GB.
Recommended Social Media Image Sizes: Linkedin
It has 467 million registered users with good drivers of traffic and customers. It started using a new layout for personal profiles with straight forward dimensions.
- For personal Profile Image, the recommended size is 300 x 300 with a minimum resolution at 200 x 200 and maximum at 10MB. Linkedin can have pixels between 400 x 400 and 20,000 x 20,000 pixels with types included as JPG, GIF, or PNG.
- The personal Background Image resolution is 1584 x 396. It is a newer feature but a little trickier. The maximum size is 4MB with types included as JPG, PNG, or GIF.
- The Company Logo Image is shown right next to your brand name on your LinkedIn homepage and appears in the “Companies you may want to follow” section. The recommended size is 300 x 300 with a minimum of 300 x 300 pixels and a maximum of 4MB with type PNG, JPG, or GIF.
- The Company Cover Image on the other hand is a background image that covers the entire page. The size recommended is 1192 x 220 with a minimum size of 1128 x 191 and a maximum of 4MB. It appears at 1128 x 191 pixels with image types PNG, JPG, or GIF.
- The Life Tab on LinkedIn lets you provide an in-depth look at your company’s employees. Two images can be uploaded here: That highlights your page and the horizontal scrolling gallery with company photos beneath. The recommended size for the main image is 1128 x 376 with a minimum size of 264 x 176 with JPNG, JPG, or GIF type included.
Recommended Social Media Image Sizes: Pinterest
This can be an amazing tool for driving traffic on your site as 90% of Pinterest pages are external links.
- The size of the profile picture recommended is 165 x 165 that appears at 32 x 32 pixels with a maximum of 10 MB and JPG and PNG sizes included for profile pictures.
- The pin sizes on the other hand put a limit on the width of the image but not the length. The Pins on the main page appear as 236 pixels and the board at 236 pixels. The expanded pins have a minimum width of 600 pixels with a recommended ratio of 2:3 to 1:3.5.
- The Board Display on Pinterest helps create boards therefore it’s important to make sure one is using an image that fits perfectly. The large thumbnail is of 222 x 150 pixels and smaller at 55 x 55 pixels.
Recommended Social Media Image Sizes: YouTube
YouTube is one social media site that has more than 1 billion users each month and has a great opportunity to reach its fan-base.
- The Channel Profile Image allows you to select different profile image borders with 800 x 800 dimensions with display as 98 x 98 pixels with image types JPG, GIF, BMP or PNG included.
- On the other hand, the Channel Cover Photo has dimensions at 2,048 x 1,152. It helps spice up your YouTube channel with some “channel art” that helps entice the audience to stay on your page longer and watch.
- The recommended size is 2560 x 1440 pixels with 1546 x 423 pixels on mobile and web with maximum file size: 4MB and types JPG, GIF, BMP, or PNG included.
Across Different Devices the best sizes for YouTube images are as follows:
- Tablet display: 1,855 x 423
- Mobile display: 1,546 x 423
- TV display: 2,560 x 1,440
- Desktop: 2,560 x 423
Uploading your content to YouTube is an important part of establishing your presence. The size recommended is 1280 x 720 (minimum HD) with 16:9 as an aspect ratio. The dimensions for full HD should be at least 1,280 x 720 pixels.
Recommended Social Media Image Sizes:Tumblr
It is a customizable social site that allows effortless sharing.
- The accepted dimension for Profile Picture is 128 x 128 with a minimum of 128 x 128 pixels with JPG, GIF, PNG, or BMP included.
- The image Posts are the posts you send out to your followers that appear on your page at 500 x 750.
- The dashing image sizes max at 1,280 x 1,920 shown in feeds at 500 x 750 and cannot exceed 10MB.
- The animated GIFS should be between 3MB – 540 pixels.
Social media plays an important tool that allows an individual to market their company while engaging their audiences. This medium helps with the interaction and therefore marking the audience with the help of images making the sizes a key factor in indulging and advertising.
Glorify, though, makes your job so easy! Glorify has tons of pre-defined, perfectly sized, and iconically designed templates in the recommended best size for social media images that can take your Social Media images to the next level!
Social Media Image Sizes in 2021 FAQs
Yes! The article above explains the importance of size across various social media sites.
The standard size across the platforms is 1,200 x 628 pixels. Nonetheless, there are different sizes for different platforms. Refer to the above article for reference.
For a square image: 1200 x 1200 pixels and featured image to 470 pixels wide by 246 pixels high.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG